We will celebrate Peter Higgs' 90th birthday with an afternoon of talks looking back to the journey to the discovery of the Higgs boson and looking forward to future discoveries in particle physics.
The talks will be given by:
- Lyn Evans (CERN)
- Chiara Mariotti (Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, Torino)
- Christoph Englert (University of Glasgow)
This will be followed by a drinks reception.
The event will take place in the Playfair Library, University of Edinburgh on Fri 20th September, 2019, beginning at 1.30pm.
Registration is now open to all here. There is a registration fee of £15 (waived for UoE undergraduate students).
Photographs will be taken at this event and shared on our website and social media channels. If you do not want to be included in any photographs, please email email@example.com or speak to the photographer on the day.
Image credits: David Cheskin (Peter Higgs), Tricia Malley & Ross Gillespie (Playfair Library)
- 20 Sep / 13:30—13:40
- Welcome (0h10′)
- Dunlop, James
- 20 Sep / 13:40—14:10
- Peter Higgs, Mathematical Physics and all that... (0h30′)
- Richard KENWAY (The University of Edinburgh)
- 20 Sep / 14:10—15:10
- The history of 50 years of the Standard Model from the point of view of a machine builder (1h00′)
- Evans, Lyn (CERN)
- 20 Sep / 15:45—16:45
- The story of a discovery - how we found the long-sought-after Higgs boson (1h00′)
- Mariotti, Chiara (Torino)
- 20 Sep / 16:45—17:45
- Higgs Phenomenology: Opportunities for New Physics (1h00′)
- Christoph ENGLERT (Glasgow)