A day of networking between leading researchers and industry
This one-day event at the Higgs Centre for Innovation will drive collaboration between academia and industry and promote the talent pool at the University of Edinburgh. This one-day event at the Higgs Centre for Innovation will drive collaboration between academia and industry and promote the talent pool at the University of Edinburgh.
This meeting will bring together leading researchers, experts in cutting-edge technology, successful entrepreneurs, alumni and students. The day will include general talks, panel discussions and networking in extended breaks. There will also be a chance to take a tour of the Higgs Centre for Innovation.
Confirmed speakers include:
Prof Sheila Rowan, Chief Scientific Advisor to the Scottish Government
Prof Tony Hey, STFC Chief Data Scientist.
Bringing together the strengths of discovery-driven research and innovation-driven industry, we will look for opportunities to bridge traditional divisions and identify areas for future development. The day will end with a reception on the roof terrace.
The recently-opened Higgs Centre for Innovation is a joint venture between the STFC and the University of Edinburgh which provides incubation and support for companies with an interest in collaboration with STFC scientists.
The timetable can be found here
Registration for this event is now full. If you would like to register interest in case places become available, please email Luigi Del Debbio (email@example.com) and Jenni Smillie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Here is some helpful travel information. The Higgs Centre for Innovation is located at the Royal Observatory site (ROE).
- 24 Jan / 10:20—10:30
- Welcome (0h10′)
- Luigi DEL DEBBIO (The University of Edinburgh)
- 24 Jan / 10:30—10:45
- Introduction to the Higgs Centre for Innovation (0h15′)
- Gillian WRIGHT
- 24 Jan / 10:45—11:00
- Edinburgh Expertise (0h15′)
- Franz MUHEIM (University of Edinburgh)
- 24 Jan / 11:00—11:45
- Keynote Address: Universal Benefits - what astronomy and particle physics can offer to business (0h45′)
- Rowan, Sheila
- 24 Jan / 11:45—12:15
- Industry Case Study (0h30′)
- Amy BILTON (CERN-KT)
- 24 Jan / 12:15—13:00
- Student Experience (0h45′)
- 24 Jan / 14:00—14:30
- Machine Learning and Scientific Big Data (0h30′)
- Hey, Tony
- 24 Jan / 14:30—15:15
- Big Data Panel Discussion (0h45′)
- Richard KENWAY (The University of Edinburgh)
- 24 Jan / 15:45—16:15
- Applying HPC, data analytics and AI expertise to industry-led challenges (0h30′)
- Kennedy, Alison
- 24 Jan / 16:15—17:00
- Industry and academia: a perfect partnership? – Panel Discussion (0h45′)
- Frisch, Benjamin
- 24 Jan / 17:00—18:00
- Tour of HCI/ATC/Crawford Collection (1h00′)
Beyond the lab
- Poster PDF